The Liberal Democrat councillors on Milton Keynes Council play an essential role for Milton Keynes. With the council split with Tory and Labour parties having 23 and 21 seats respectively, our group of 12 councillors have held the balance of power, having a key voice holding the council to account.
We are already fighting hard to keep our voice on the council and strengthen it. For many years before 2012 we were the largest party on the council, and where we are active residents do vote for our candidates; in the May 2018 local elections we won 6 seats, the Tories 6, and Labour won 8; Milton Keynes is a three way fight between the main parties. That means we know it will be possible for us to retake the council, and to do that we do need your help. Where we have active ward teams we keep residents up to date with a regular newsletter, and this takes money; each Focus newsletter across an entire ward costs around £150. Can you help keep us fighting across Milton Keynes so we can do more in the wards we’re currently in, and help our plans to grow beyond them?
Anything you can donate will help support our campaigning this year and in future years.
- £5 will pay for a street letter on a key issue
- £20 will pay to upgrade a ward Focus issue from black and white to having another ‘spot’ colour for one edition
- £50 will pay for a round of targeted letters to specific voters we need to reach
- £150 will pay to print a black and white Focus for an entire ward
You can donate using PayPal (button below), and if you do please let us know who you are by sending your details. If you donate £500 or more will will need to take more details from you, as we will need to declare the donation.
If you would prefer to donate through any other route please email us at [email protected] and we can discuss other options.
Who is allowed to donate to us?
- Donations to political parties, including sponsorship, are regulated by the Political Parties Elections and Referendums Act 2000.
- Anybody can donate up to £500 in any one calendar year. The Liberal Democrats only accept donations over £500 from permissible donors:
- Permissible donors are: individuals on a UK electoral register (excluding the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man), UK Trade Unions, companies incorporated within the EU and registered and trading in the UK, Limited Liability Partnerships, UK unincorporated associations and UK building or friendly societies.
- If you make donations to the Liberal Democrats totalling more than £1,500 in any calendar year, we are required to report them to the Electoral Commission, who, depending on the amount, may publish the fact that you have donated to us:
- Donations of more than £7,500 from the same donor to the Federal Liberal Democrats in a calendar year are required to be reported to the Electoral Commission. This applies to single donations of more than £7,500 or cumulative smaller donations which exceed £7,500 in the calendar year. The threshold for public disclosure of donations to local parties (including English regions, Scotland & Wales) is £1,500.
- The name and address of the donor and the amount of the donation will be published on the Electoral Commission website. Addresses of individuals are not published.
- More information is available on the Electoral Commission’s website