Milton Keynes Lib Dems

The Milton Keynes Liberal Democrat team website, Demand Better for Milton Keynes. Learn more

Candidate for MK North Announced by Lib Dems

by Richard Greenwood on 6 November, 2019

Aisha Mir has been selected to stand for the Liberal Democrats in Milton Keynes North for the General Election on Thursday 12th December 2019

You can find Aisha on Twitter here @AishaJMir
You can find Aisha on Facebook by
clicking this link
To donate please follow this link and read the information first

Aisha believes strongly in a progressive and outward looking United Kingdom that is at the heart of Europe. She joined the Lib Dems in 2013 and since then has stood twice as a Parliamentary candidate and has been an active party campaigner.

Aisha was born in Manchester but was raised and educated in Scotland. She worked in Finance for over 10 years and moved to England in 2017 to run her own business. During this time she also cared for her mother through a number of serious illnesses.

Aisha has volunteered as a Children’s Hearing Panel member, been involved in charities and projects supporting elderly and vulnerable people, equality, social care, young carers, climate change and diversity/integration.

Aisha says: “I’m very honoured to be standing for Parliament for Milton Keynes North for the Liberal Democrats. I decided to put myself forward because I was fed up of how unrepresentative Parliament is of our country. We have suffered under a broken two party political system for far too long.

Aisha Helps Tidy the Gardens in a retirement village in Milton Keynes

The toxicity of the Brexit question has stifled and suffocated our country so we are not talking about the things that desperately matter in Milton Keynes North – affordable housing, education, the NHS, and the climate emergency.

It is time to change our politics for the better, to change the dynamic and change the narrative.  We must look to the future and work with our friends and partners across the globe. We must ensure our Parliament reflects our country and the Liberal Democrats are the only party that can do that.

Milton Keynes North deserves a hard-working, proactive, visible MP to fight for them – that’s exactly what I will be.’

On 12 December Vote for Aisha Mir in Milton Keynes North

If you would like to donate to support the election campaigning in Milton Keynes to support please click here and donate via PayPal (please read the information about political donations).

Published and promoted by R Cave on behalf of Aisha Mir (Liberal Democrats), all at 81 Pattison Lane, Milton Keynes MK15 0AY

14 Comments

14 Responses

1. Robert Brewis says:

Further to my email of 18th July (below), I can confirm that Sherington Hustings will take place on Monday 9th December, and we very much hope to see Aisha sharing the platform there.

• Richard Greenwood says:

Hi Robert, thanks for your email and confirmation that the hustings is due to take place on 9th December (hopefully no nativity plays are being disturbed in the process!). I’ve forwarded your email onto Aisha’s election agent who will be able to make arrangements with you and Aisha.

2. Denise says:

Hi Lib Dems

I am a staunch Remainer, veteran of all the Peoples Vote Marches and terrified of what might happen on 12 December and for the next 4/5 years after that.

So that’s me. I have just read the Guardian article by Tim Walker and am asking you, begging even, for your two candidates to take the same brave stance and to withdraw their nominations by 4 pm tomorrow.

Both Milton Keynes seats are clearly winnable by a non-Leave candidate, based on the figures presented by all of the tactical voting websites and with one of them standing down there is an even bigger chance of overturning their slim majorities.

However, even with the best will in the world, and your best candidates, it’s hard to see this happening by splitting the remain vote. Hard as it is for me to suggest, the only hope is for the Lib Dems (in third place) to step aside for the most likely winner. I know that Labour is not reciprocating but this issue is bigger than party politics.

this is about the future, parliaments can come and go every few years but Brexit is simply a disastrous mistake that will effect us for decades.

Please listen and do the ‘right’ thing for Milton Keynes and the Country.

Very best wishes
    Denise

• Richard Greenwood says:

First, the Liberal Democrats are a national party, and some decisions including where General Election candidates stand or not must be made at a national level. As shown by Unite to Remain the Liberal Democrats HAVE stood down candidates to benefit the Green Party and Plaid Cymru as those parties have been willing to do the same for Liberal Democrats by mutual agreement. In his article Tim made clear that Labour were invited to take part in a mutual arrangement and refused to.

Second, it isn’t clear that the Liberal Democrats standing down in Milton Keynes (and the Green Party not) would have the affect you’re suggesting. In 2017 it is clear that there was massive tactical voting, since the Liberal Democrat vote in each constituency wasn’t much higher than the party wins in some individual council wards in MK Council elections, even aside from many Lib Dem supporters telling me they were voting tactically.

In 2019, if the assumption is that both seats will again be Labour-Conservative marginals, those willing to vote tactically will do so. Of those who would still be voting Liberal Democrat in that scenario, a significant number of the rest may be former Labour voters who can’t vote for Corbyn’s Labour, and former Conservative voters who can’t vote for Johnson’s Conservatives.

In this scenario, if the Liberal Democrats don’t stand, a significant number of those who used to vote Labour and didn’t vote Labour tactically would likely vote Green (which has been a consistent remain party, unlike Labour), while most former Tories are unlikely to bring themselves to vote for Corbyn’s Labour or the Green Party, so are more likely to go back to the Conservatives. In that situation you’d need BOTH Lib Dems and the Green Party to not stand to expect Labour to gain much benefit, since if the Green Party stood it is entirely possible that the Green Party and Conservatives would gain at least as much, if not more than the Labour party.

In essence, those who are willing to vote tactically for the Labour party will anyway, and in MK it may well not help Labour if the Liberal Democrats didn’t stand.

• Chris Wesson says:

I read today that the Lib Dem’s plan to scrap business rates. This is great news for me as I own two business in Milton Keynes.

Secondly, I have been asked on numerous occasions to vote tactically in the forthcoming elections. Personally, I don’t agree with tactical voting as it feels dishonest. But I do understand why someone would. I read your previous replies on this subject and it’s reassuring to hear that you anticipate a different outcome to the last election. Do you have any indication/research to suggest the percentage of the vote the Lib Dem’s could hope to achieve in MK?

• Richard Greenwood says:

Chris, I apologise for the delay replying, things have been very busy. It is a problem that our First Past the Post electoral system ends up with people feeling the the need to vote tactically, which is why our party has always supported more proportional voting systems, with a preference for Single Transferable Vote (STV). While some in other parties attack PR, STV which is already used in local government elections in Scotland, and in elections in Northern Ireland, allows people to give votes in order of preference and ensures voices are heard without having to ‘game’ the system by tactical voting. However, we have First Past the Post currently and need to work with it. And I will say, some Liberal Democrat wins in seats in this election will rely on people voting tactically for us, so we need to accept it in Milton Keynes too. From what I hear I’m expecting about 30 Lib Dem seats in the General Election, although I’ve seen lower estimates from some sources.

Currently we don’t have a clear idea what vote share we’ll receive in this election, however we are expecting it to be higher than in 2017.

3. Liz McBreen says:

If a candidate is to stand down to give a better opportunity for another remain candidate then it should be the Labour Party candidate. The Liberal Democrat’s are the only main party that has consistently opposed Brexit

A vote for Liberal Democrat is a vote for an end to Brexit

Regards

Liz McBreen

• Richard Greenwood says:

In some seats Labour should have stood down candidates to help beat the Conservatives, those being places like Richmond Park, and Oxford West and Abingdon where a handful of votes might make a difference in beating the Conservatives. In exchange they could have negotiated for other parties to stand down in some places on the basis of joining the remain alliance. They were invited to join Unite to Remain and refused.

While Labour are now supporting a People’s Vote they still aren’t a Remain party. Some of their candidates are still better than others, though.

4. Roger Pritchard says:

Lib Dem is the only party to transmit a simple and definite mrssage: remain in the EU, maintain the stability of the Union, defend the NHS against the ambitions of the USA pharmaceutical industry.

• Richard Greenwood says:

Absolutely, our message on Brexit is clear and definite. Back a People’s Vote with Remain on the ballot UNLESS the party wins a majority in a General Election in which case the policy is to Revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit.

We’re not a single issue party though – we have a well rounded manifesto, talking about protecting the environment, giving children the best start, and transforming the economy and our public services.

Right now there is an outline plan in the following link, although it’ll show our manifesto when it is published. https://www.libdems.org.uk/plan

5. Patrick says:

I have to agree with the comments Denise has made above. There are many young people like myself that are completley anti-brexit and want to see a candidate, to represent Milton Keynes North, who will reject any tory attempt to get a bad deal through parliament.

My political views are largely liberal, maybe slightly left of central and I want to see the Lib Dems do extremley well at this general election. I would absolutley voting for any Lib Dem candidate in any other election, but this election may be the closest thing we get to a second referendum so the result is imperative to lead to a people’s vote or a cancellation altogether.

However in this general election I have to vote labour ‘tactically’ to put a stop to this brexit madness. I am a 20 year old student and know my views are shared by a very large portion of my demographic. But as the Lib Dems have been the most consistent party in recent times there will be an influx of Lib Dem votes but NOT even close to contest with the Labour and Tories unfortunatley.

No brexiteer will vote for the Lib Dems so all of the votes you are taking are remain voters. As this election will be on a knife edge and Lib Dems are a self proclaiming Remain party. You must stand down in this constituency and show intergrity and honourability by putti g the countires needs first. Then come back at the next election with new fans from both the right and the left as they can see you put the national interest first.

I understand where you are coming from in your response to Denise but I assure you there are many remainers like me that will vote for Lib Dems but would vote for Labour if the liberal option was taken away. Unfortunatley in this scenario a vote for Lib Dem is a vote for brexit.

I emplore your to reconsider your stance and this gesture of goodwill could become a fruitful ‘I scratch your back…’ with labour.

Kind Regards,
    Patrick

• Richard Greenwood says:

Hi Patrick,

Sorry for the delayed response!

First, to go back to part of the reply to Denise, it a decision for the national party if and where candidates are stood down, Local Parties and candidates aren’t able to make a decision not to stand in a particular constituency. If there is anyone to lobby it is the national party, not the candidates!

Second, close of nominations was Thursday 14 November so after that date it was no longer possible to stand down candidates. As long as nominations are accepted on that date the candidate’s name and party will appear on the ballot paper.

However, I can personally say from canvassing (although most of it outside MK!) that there are many traditional one nation Conservatives who support Remain, may vote Lib Dem this time as they can’t stand Johnson but would still refuse to vote for Corbyn’s Labour party and would go back to the Conservatives if Lib Dems aren’t on the ballot. From conversations I’ve had there may still be more tactical voting among Lib Dem supporters than there was in 2017, so those that will vote Tactically will do so, those that won’t may well vote for the Green party if Lib Dems didn’t stand.

Lastly, for the “I scratch your back…”, that has been tried by the Green Party who have in the past unilaterally stood down candidates specifically to help Labour in marginal seats, however Labour has refused to help the Green party in return. Labour were invited to join Unite to Remain in this election which is the group by which Green, Lib Dem and Plaid Cymru have stood down candidates to help each other, however as normal Labour refused to work with other parties. If there is anyone to put pressure on for future elections it is Labour HQ! https://leftfootforward.org/2019/11/exclusive-the-greens-tried-to-form-a-progressive-alliance-with-labour-heres-why-it-didnt-work-out/

Kind regards
      Richard

6. Sergio Valek says:

You portray the housing shortage issue as a broken promise for the young. Well.. how about those older, single working people? I immigrated to this country chasing a dream and at the time I didn’t have enough to pay for a loan deposit, now I have some savings, but I find myself too old to get an affordable mortgage. I know many people with similar issues, but politicians always focus on the overall story which will only benefit the few. How can I trust the Lib Dems to work for me in MK. I am yet an undecided voter who voted Tory on the last election.

• Richard Greenwood says:

Reply from Aisha Mir below:

The housing crisis we face in the UK impacts everyone, but will have a much longer and deeper impact on young people. As you rightly point out, there are many people like yourself who, having worked hard and made huge contributions, find themselves in a difficult position.

Our ambitious housing plan is aimed to help everyone.

The 300,000 new homes every year that I mention will be affordable and within the financial reach of the average person, with help to anyone who is struggling to get a deposit together. Furthermore those homes will also be zero carbon, meaning lower utility bills, while helping tackle the Climate Change Emergency.

For those people where renting is a better or more feasible option – we will ensure that 100,000 of those new homes are available for social rent, and in the private rental market we will legislate to ensure tenants rights are protected and safe.

We also know that mortgage rates, whilst not under the direct control of any Party, are linked to having a healthy economy. Like many other issues affecting the UK, Brexit threatens the economy and also what we, as a potential future government can do about it.

There is more information on our Manifesto Jo’s Plan for the Future , under our plans to Build a Fair Society.